The Rectory, a New York City Landmark building, was designed by architect Ernest Flagg in 1900. Fire gutted the building in 1988. The Astor Foundation provided a grant for the Historic Structures Report and a matching E.Q.B.A. from New York State provided funds for restoring the exterior. A new copper roof and cornice, new stucco walls, iron grille repair, and window repair and replacement were provided.
After the exterior renovation, the building stood vacant waiting for new life. This need was filled by the development of the Neighborhood Preservation Center, a collaboration of the St. Mark’s Historic Landmark Fund, the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, and the Historic District’s Council. Each of these groups hold office space in the Rectory with the Landmark Fund offices being designed by this office. “A more perfect building could not have been provided for these organizations to operate within.”
Interior work included new heating, plumbing and electrical systems, new hardwood floors, and window trim and stairs. Original moldings were recreated where they could not be saved. The original plaster walls were repaired and painted.